Each Spring since 2001, Marin Shakespeare Company Artistic and Managing Directors Bob and Lesley Currier have overseen the production of a community Shakespeare play in the little town of Los Barriles, Mexico between Cabo and La Paz on the Sea of Cortez. Bob and Lesley continue as the Artistic Directors of Baja del Sur's only classical theatre festival.
- March 21 - 24, 2013. ALOHA! A Hawaiian Night's Dream. Our thirteenth annual Baja Shakespeare performance is a hilarious Hawaiian take on a classic Shakespearean comedy. Join the fun at our outdoor stage at the historic Rancho Buena Vista Hotel. What could be better than Shakespeare mixed with music, mai tais, and hula dancers?! The fun and silliness of Baja Shakespeare are unimaginable -- you've just got to experience it to believe it's no dream.
For information on local rentals, please contact Julie Marks at firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on other fun Baja Activities, visit http://www.casabaja.com/activities.html
There are many local attractions besides Shakespeare
in Los Barriles and surrounding areas.
World-class deep sea fishing, snorkeling, hiking,
nature excursions, day spas, and shopping are
some of the fun things to do in this quiet town
of 3,500. Nearby Cabo San Lucas offers surfing,
nightclubs and Mexican art galleries. La Paz,
to the north, is a historic Mexican city. Todos
Santos, across the Baja Peninsula to the west,
is a well-known artist colony. Each of these
destinations is no more than an hour and a half
drive from Los Barriles.
For more information, contact Lesley Currier
at 415/499-4485 or
BAJA SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL
- 2001 ~ MACBETH, starring Bob and Lesley Currier as the bloody
directed by the Curriers and featuring a cast
of Los Barriles locals.
- 2002 ~ A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM,
directed by the Curriers who played Oberon
featuring local Burger Bill Casto as Bottom.
- 2003 ~ THE MERRY WIVES OF WINDSURF,
directed by the Curriers who played
the Fords, featuring Clarence Moyers (the
Impressario) as Falstaff, Sally Smith as
Mistress Quickly, and Betsey O'Leary as Mistress
- 2004 ~ AS YOU LIKE IT was directed by the Curriers, who played Rosalind
Bobby Bowman starred as Orlando, with Kim Scholefield
~ THE TAMING OF THE SHREW is directed by the Curriers, who present their
1950's be-bop adaptation featuring lots of
great music and dance; Camilla Ford and Isabelle
Smythe star as Kate and Petruchio.
- 2006 ~ A MIDSUMMER
NIGHT'S DREAM directed by
Stephanie Shine, Artistic Director of the
Seattle Shakespeare Festival. The play
is set in New Orleans and accompanied by
jazz music and dance. Roxanne Rosenblatt
and Kim Scholefield are Titania and Oberon
with Raisa Marchetti as Puck and Burger
Bill Casto reprising the role of Bottom
- 2007 ~ Much Ado About Nothing directed by Stephanie Shine. Karen Kennedy and Camilla Ford led the cast as Beatrice and Benedick. The production concluded with a pig roast at Buzzard's Cantina.
- 2008 ~ Twelfth Night directed by Lesley and Robert Currier. A music-filled version set in the psychedelic 1970's, performed at Rancho Buena Vista.
- 2009 ~ The Comedy of Errors adapted and directed by Lesley and Robert Currier. A country and western version of Shakespeare's madcap comedy of mistaken identity.
- 2010 ~ The Knight of the Mighty Rod adapted and directed by Lesley and Robert Currier and based on "The Knight of the Burning Pestle" by Beaumont and maybe Fletcher... a Baja first... a Jacobean farce by a Shakespeare contemporary. Total wild and whirling fun!
- 2011 ~ The Wild Adventures of Pericles, Cosmic Space Traveler. Based on Shakespeare's romance, this epic tale of intrigue, betrayal, love, lust, loss, and redemption was adapted and directed by Robert and Lesley Currier and starred Ron Weber in the title role.
- 2012 ~ Cinderella. A British-style panto with a Baja twist, adapted and directed by Robert and Lesley Currier, starring Ron Weber and Bobby Bowman as the Ugly Stepsisters and Kim Scholefield as the lovable (cute as a) Buttons!
More images of Baja's stage, Click
back to Special Events